Sunday, May 5, 2013

Week 12 - Dear High School Graduate

This week, I wrote my first letter to future me.  I decided to write the letter to my future self when I graduate from high school on June 6th, 2014.  I am going to keep it in my nightstand and set a reminder on my phone so I don't forget on graduation day.  Let's hope that iPhones aren't obsolete by then...

I think it will be interesting to see all of the things that have changed with my family, friends, but most importantly, me.  The letter was four pages.  I was surprised at how long it took and how many things I felt I needed to write about.

This week I also began to explore some of the things from my past... and by past, I mean elementary and middle school days.  Just like most people, middle school was the most awkward period of time ever and I was both excited and nervous to see what I would find.  

I checked a bunch of desk drawers, nightstands, and miscellaneous areas in the house for any trace of the good ol' days.  I collected everything into a big Ziplock bag.

Just a few of the things I've found include letters my friend Jackie wrote to me in 7th grade, worry dolls my 8th grade Spanish teacher gave to me when I went to high school, a wood truck I painted at a girl scout event in 2004, and a postcard my friend sent me when she was on vacation in Hawaii in 2007.  I even found my ID card from 2008 when I was wearing a Powerpuff Girls shirt.  Talk about the #fine #fresh #fierce days...

Each item I found is a story in itself.  Just like I had to dig up my family's past, I am excited to finally dig up my own past.  Things have changed a lot and at each new year that passes, I always think to myself, "Wow, I was so stupid last year."

2007: Wow I was so stupid last year.
2008: Wow I was so stupid last year.
2009: Wow I was so stupid last year.
2010: Wow I was so stupid last year.
2011: Wow I was so stupid last year.
2012: Wow I was so stupid last year.
2013: Wow I was so stupid last year.

Pretty much.

I am hoping to continue finding these artifacts from my past.  I will probably start collecting them in a box from now on since the bag is stuffed up to the brim right now.

Next week, I hope to decipher the journal I kept in 2008, write another letter to my future self, and continue scavenging the house for pieces from my past.



No comments:

Post a Comment